Are you living with the daily challenges of an autoimmune disease, battling chronic pain, inflammation and fatigue? At Expand Health, we understand that sometimes your body’s innate healing mechanisms require a helping hand to restore equilibrium and enhance your overall well-being. That’s where the transformative power of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) comes into play. HBOT represents a cutting-edge and holistic approach that harnesses the extraordinary healing potential of pure oxygen, providing renewed hope and relief at the fundamental cellular level.
In the world of modern medicine, new and innovative treatments are continually emerging to address a wide range of health conditions. One such treatment gaining attention for its potential benefits in managing autoimmune diseases is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT).
Understanding Autoimmune Diseases
Autoimmune disease occurs when your body is unable to tell the difference between your own cells and foreign cells, making you more susceptible to infections and causing inflammation that leads to redness, pain, and swelling. Normally, your body’s immune system attacks germs like bacteria and viruses, but with an autoimmune disease, proteins called autoantibodies attack healthy cells. There are over 80 autoimmune diseases—each of which have a unique set of symptoms that can affect nearly every part of the body.
What is HBOT
HBOT is administered inside chambers where the patient breathes nearly 100% oxygen intermittently while the pressure of the treatment chamber is increased to greater than 1 atmosphere absolute (ATA). Most therapy is given at 2 or 3 ATA and the average duration of therapy can vary between 45–90 min. Number of therapies may vary from 3 to 5 for acute conditions to 50–60 for radiation illnesses.
Holistic Autoimmune Disease Treatment
Conventional autoimmune disease treatment usually involves treating the symptoms through the use of medication which suppresses the entire immune system. And as presented in a review published in the Indian Journal of Pharmacology, conventional autoimmune disease treatments can fall short of helping people who suffer from them. This is where HBOT comes into play (in addition to modifications of diet, lifestyle, supplements and other aspects) offering a means to deliver increased levels of oxygen to the body and promote healing and immune regulation.
Immune Modulation: HBOT has immunomodulatory effects, helping to regulate and balance the immune response. It can dampen the overactive immune response seen in autoimmune diseases, reducing inflammation and tissue damage caused by immune system attacks.
Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Chronic inflammation is a hallmark of autoimmune diseases. HBOT has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects by reducing the production of pro-inflammatory molecules and promoting the release of anti-inflammatory substances. This can help alleviate symptoms and reduce the overall burden of inflammation in the body.
Tissue Healing and Regeneration: Autoimmune diseases often lead to tissue damage and impaired healing. HBOT promotes tissue healing and regeneration by enhancing oxygen delivery to affected areas. Oxygen plays a crucial role in cellular metabolism, collagen synthesis, and angiogenesis (formation of new blood vessels), all of which contribute to tissue repair.
Enhanced Oxygenation: In autoimmune diseases, compromised blood flow and reduced oxygen supply to tissues can occur. HBOT helps overcome this by increasing oxygen saturation in the blood, allowing oxygen to reach even the most poorly perfused areas. This improved oxygenation supports cellular function and promotes healing processes.
Pain Management: Many autoimmune diseases are associated with chronic pain. HBOT has been reported to reduce pain levels in some individuals, potentially offering relief from the discomfort associated with autoimmune diseases.
Improved Energy Levels: Fatigue is a common complaint among individuals with autoimmune diseases. HBOT’s ability to enhance oxygen delivery to tissues may help improve energy levels and combat fatigue.
A Complementary Therapy
It’s important to note that HBOT is not a standalone treatment for autoimmune diseases but can be used as a complementary therapy alongside conventional treatments and lifestyle modifications. It’s essential for individuals with autoimmune diseases to work closely with a healthcare provider to explore the potential benefits of HBOT in their specific cases – including session duration and frequency.
Our expert medical team will customize a treatment plan that’s uniquely suited to your health needs, including the number and frequency of sessions required. Step into the future of holistic wellness with our state-of-the-art therapies.
- Chiou HC, Huang SH, Hung CH, Tsai SM, Kuo HR, Huang YR, Wang JW, Chen SC, Kuo CH, Wu DC, Huang SK, Hsu SH, Lin MH. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Alleviates the Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis via the Reduction of IL-17a and GM-Csf Production of Autoreactive T Cells as Well as Boosting the Immunosuppressive IL-10 in the Central Nervous System Tissue Lesions. Biomedicines. 2021 Aug 2;9(8):943. doi: 10.3390/biomedicines9080943. PMID: 34440146; PMCID: PMC8391387.
- Chen SY, Chen YC, Wang JK, Hsu HP, Ho PS, Chen YC, Sytwu HK. Early hyperbaric oxygen therapy attenuates disease severity in lupus-prone autoimmune (NZB x NZW) F1 mice. Clin Immunol. 2003 Aug;108(2):103-10. doi: 10.1016/s1521-6616(03)00091-3. PMID: 12921756.
- Makeeva NP, Balakhonova NP, Kurakina LV, Kamshilina LS. Mikrotsirkuliatsiia u bo’lnykh sistemnoĭ sklerodermieĭ pri lechenii metodom giperbaricheskoĭ oksigenatsii [Microcirculation in patients with systemic scleroderma during treatment using hyperbaric oxygenation]. Klin Med (Mosk). 1989 Jun;67(6):107-9. Russian. PMID: 2779143.
- Ma Lili, Lei Yong, & Zeng Yun (2006). Clinical effects of hyperbaric oxygen on hypothyroidism after 131I therapy. Journal of Radioimmunology, 19(4), 333-335.
- Baitule S, Patel AH, Murthy N, Sankar S, Kyrou I, Ali A, Randeva HS, Robbins T. A Systematic Review to Assess the Impact of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy on Glycaemia in People with Diabetes Mellitus. Medicina (Kaunas). 2021 Oct 19;57(10):1134. doi: 10.3390/medicina57101134. PMID: 34684171; PMCID: PMC8541526.
- Alenazi N, Alsaeed H, Alsulami A, Alanzi T. A Review of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy for Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Int J Gen Med. 2021 Oct 24;14:7099-7105. doi: 10.2147/IJGM.S336678. PMID: 34729019; PMCID: PMC8554584.
- Butler G, Michaels JC, Al-Waili N, Finkelstein M, Allen M, Petrillo R, Carrey Z, Kolanuvada B, Lee BY, Riera AG, Michaels CC, Urteaga G. Therapeutic effect of hyperbaric oxygen in psoriasis vulgaris: two case reports and a review of the literature. J Med Case Rep. 2009 Aug 10;3:7023. doi: 10.1186/1752-1947-0003-0000007023. PMID: 19830133; PMCID: PMC2737769.